Tuesday, May 31, 2011

WHY DICKERSON'S THE REAL DEAL

There’s no one scrappier than Chris Dickerson. Yes, this guy was a no-name to Yankees fans 4 months ago, but as an extra outfielder, the kid’s got speed, grit and athleticism in the field that is more than any fourth or fifth outfielder... He could actually be a starter too.

The best thing right now is we an above average player in Dickerson on our bench to fill in for a slow starting Swisher and a guy that can mirror a Gardner in left if needed.

So, how did it happen? How and why did we get Chris Dickerson? It was simple, Brain Cashman reads Bleeding Yankee Blue and he saw the abuse Sergio Mitre was taking. Cashman thought to himself, “Self…What would make the Mighty Casey happy?
Sergio Mitre is on his shit list, maybe I’ll unload him. But for who?" Then Cashman did something amazing. He went through the BYB archives. (If you haven’t, you should do it too, there are some gems in there.) Cashman knows I like speed, he knows I like dirty uniforms and he knows I like when the Yankees win. Brian Cashman did this trade for me. Well, not exactly, but he did know that Dickerson would better the team and Mitre was going nowhere.

Once Cashman convinced Girardi he needed to let go of his Mitre obsession, he made the call and got a player on no one’s radar. That’s what Cashman does best; getting the diamond in the ruff that no one is looking at. Yes, Cash gets the big fish, but it’s those little fish that sometimes make the difference. In my mind, Dickerson will be a huge help to the Bronx Bombers.

(photo: Getty)

And speaking of Bronx Bombers, don’t underestimate the other outfielder the Yankees collected over the off season in Andruw Jones. Jones may be older since those glory days of the Atlanta Braves, but he has something to prove too and will do it, every chance he gets. Look for a terrific piece by Grant Cederquist titled WHY CASHMAN IS THE SMARTEST GM IN BASEBALL. It maps out Cashman’s cheap and yet smart moves wonderfully.

For me, I look forward to Dickerson playing more. I like him in the late innings and I like him when he fills in. Do you know the feeling you get when a sub comes in for a starter? You will usually cringe right? I don’t cringe when Dickerson comes in. Yes, it’s a gut thing for me and if my guts not hurting, like it does when Eduardo Nunez takes over in the field, then I know that sub is about to have a good game. Dickerson doesn’t make me worry, that’s all I need.

Give Cashman some credit; he’s got his eye on the prize. Yes, they aren’t all All-Stars, but they are talented ballplayers and I am happy to add Chris Dickerson to that list, no doubt.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017