Friday, July 29, 2011

WHY HBO'S "DEREK JETER 3K" GOT IT RIGHT

"At least I'll have it for my kids one day, because they won't believe me when I tell them." --Derek Jeter
Maybe because it's fresh in my mind or maybe because I like to teach my kids the way a true professional baseball player should be like, but I must say, Derek Jeter may be the classiest and non-selfish ballplayer of our time. He is truly loved by the world of baseball, because he plays the game hard everyday, he understands people, respects them and of course has pride for the pinstripes.HBO really handled the 3K documentary well, and while I was worried it would be a rush job, I was happy to see that that wasn't the case at all. I loved that he was followed around in Tampa during his rehab and I love the fact that I now know where Gerald Williams is. He's one of Derek Jeter's best friends and I am thrilled to tell you, Gerald Williams is alive and well.I talked about Derek's upbringing and his family in WHY JETER IS EPIC FOR 1 GOOD REASON. He's learned from the best, his parents, and when I sat down last night to watch this special event in my home, my sons were sitting with me.



My kids saw a guy, who may not be the biggest guy on the field and he may not be the strongest, but he is in fact still larger than life to so many kids and adults out there. Derek Jeter represents determination and persistence. Derek Jeter represents class.

HBO will be running it over and over again I'm sure and all I can suggest to you is to really sit and watch it, like my kids did. In my house, it will be on a loop if I know the way my 8 year old operates, and I think I do. I always talk to him, who plays baseball, about how Jeter handles himself on the field and I notice he tries to imitate it, saying "good job" to his teammates and tapping them on the helmet when they come into the dugout. My other son is a swimmer and believe me, it translates there too. I use Jeter as a life lesson.

Jeter's toughness and dedication is also important on the field. It helps tremendously with team and with the fans. And all of it starts at home stays with a player, in this case Jeter and you have to give his family so much credit.In the end, Jeter explained how he wasn't sure if he wanted to do a documentary because he's a private guy, but he did it because one day, he'd have something to show his kids. That's the beginning of Derek Jeter learning that it's OK to open up alittle bit. He's achieved something huge, the first Yankee ever to hit 3000. Now that that's over and now that the camera's captured it all, I see a new, relaxed Jeter, the next step in his life, and I like it.

Congrats Jeter, you're the perfect role model for my children and I appreciate all you do.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017