Monday, October 29, 2012

SWISHER VS. ICHIRO: THE RIGHT FIELD DEBATE


I have always been a fan of Nick Swisher.  I thought the energy he brought to the Yankees changed the corporate image. We became looser in the clubhouse and when we needed to win, we usually did, with a smile. Life was good for a while, but all that changed when he got his feeling hurt. Many fans that aren’t the bleacher creatures don’t understand why I’m annoyed at Nick Swisher for his comments toward fans.  If you live under a rock, read HEY NICK SWISHER... IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!  BYB broke it down for you.  Need more?  Here’s his quote: "It hurts... Sometimes, I'm a sensitive guy... I'm one of those guys, you give me a hug and I run through a wall for you... It's tough, it's really tough.''

(In Photo: The Bleacher Creatures)
Now on the surface, it’s his opinion that the fans were “tough” on him.  My take is simple, the Bleacher Creatures represent every fan in Yankee Stadium, and many of us sitting on our couches who don’t take a trip to the Bronx.  They are a symbol of the ultimate Yankee fan.  Without the Bleacher Creatures, there is a different feel to Yankee Stadium.  That being said, it’s not about that as much as it is on him turning on the fans.  I won’t get into a heated rant about this, but I’ll just simply say, when it comes to the debate about Nick Swisher or Ichiro Suzuki and who will man right field in 2013… my decision has been made… It’s Ichiro, Nick’s time is up.
Nick had 4 great years in the Bronx. We love the guy, but turning on a fan is like a dog turning on his owner.  We pay for him to play. Our hard earned money goes into his pocket.  We defend him to the press and to anti-Yankee fans if he hits a slump in the season, but if you turn and bite the hand that feeds you, we dump you off at the pound.  Plain and Simple thinking. Now, in this case, the pound is a multi-year deal with another team most likely for Nick who will experience his first Free Agency ever in his career. Nick will move on and doesn’t care about the New York fans anymore, he never did, he just cared about his image and now it’s gone, so he’s gone and he’ll find new fans to love him. So, to me, that’s a no brainer, go to the guy who’s a hell of a lot cheaper and a 10 time gold glover… Ichiro.

Suzuki is the ultimate baseball player. He has amazing bat control and came alive when he came to the Bronx.  It was clear to many of us and a ton of Seattle Mariners fans that Ichiro was going through the motions in Seattle.  He knew that team was doomed in 2012 and with his contract being up at the end of the season, it make a hellava lot of sense to cut him loose, to a contender of course.
I was thrilled when Ichiro was traded to the Yanks.  I was the only blog out there that wrote about the perfect marriage that could be made between Ichiro and the Yankees…IN JUNE... read ICHIRO IN PINSTRIPES? ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE.  I received emails and some tweets from low level sports writers telling me that I was stirring the pot and I had no authority to be “writing crap.  I hold grudges, so, I’ll retaliate on those dim bulbs when the time is right…they know who they are.  But the point is…I was right.  I didn’t need to be in a clubhouse, I didn’t need an “unnamed source.” I went with a nugget I knew everyone would ignore….quite honestly, it fit the Yankees mold perfectly…Veteran help by the trade deadline that will help the Yankees win.  Ichiro was that player and 2 days before the trade took place in Seattle, I wrote ? and was ignored, until I wasn’t and the trade went down.

There is nothing NOT to like about this Ichiro trade and now that the season is over, it makes sense to me that Nick Swisher’s tenure is finished and Ichiro should fill the role; He’s cheaper, he’s a hell of a lot more talented with the glove and he’s an icon in baseball around the world.  Plus, he wants to be here, which for many is half the battle.  Trust me, if Ichiro can make it in New York, he can make it anywhere.  

Sign him Cashman, he’s a terrific alternative and you can always gain the homers Swisher used to supply in another bat on the free agent pile… go cheap or go home… right Cash?

 Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017