Saturday, October 28, 2017

THIS IS NOT OK



I'm speechless. When I saw it, in this day and age, I couldn't believe it. And when my 15 year old came up to me and said, "Dad, did you just see what Yuli Gurriel did?"  I knew it was way over the line.

This is not OK.  I'll let ESPN handle it...

"After hitting a home run in the second inning off Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Yu Darvish, Gurriel returned to the Astros' dugout, where he used his fingers to motion at his own eyes in a mocking gesture and appeared to mouth a derogatory term in Spanish.

In an statement, an MLB spokesman said: 'We are aware of the situation and the Commissioner intends to speak with the player tomorrow."

Bob Levey/Getty Images
Speaking through an interpreter after the game, Gurriel explained that he made the gesture because he hasn't had success in the past against Japanese pitchers. In particular, he was 1-for-7 with one strikeout this season against Darvish. Gurriel, 33, is a native of Cuba who played for the Yokohama DeNA Baystars of the Japanese Central League in 2014. Darvish is of Japanese and Iranian descent.

'I did not mean it to be offensive at any point,' Gurriel said. 'Quite the opposite. I have always had a lot of respect [for Japanese people]. ... I've never had anything against Darvish. For me, he's always been one of the best pitchers. I never had any luck against him. If I offended him, I apologize. It was not my intention.'"

But he did offend Asians, and he even offended white people. Me. My kid. Darvish said this about it...



Now MLB is considering disciplinary action, and they should.  In today's society, this garbage can never happen. I don't care if you're in a clubhouse with friends.  We have come too far to go back.

Food for thought.


20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017