Sunday, November 19, 2017

KEEP 'EM OR DUMP 'EM LIST

Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America

As we enter the week of Thanksgiving, approximately one month since our last game of the ALCS,  I could not think of a better time to put together what I am touting as the KEEP 'EM OR DUMP 'EM LIST.  And let me preface this by saying that fans have been asking me to write a piece like this and I overheard a group of Wegmans' employees chatting it up about who should stay and who should go as they organized the carts in the parking lot on a busy Saturday morning.  The conversation was entertaining and they had no idea I was eavesdropping or that I would have an clue what they were talking about...BYB undercover reporter!

Source: Ronald Martinez/Getty Images North America

If we start with our pitching staff, I would absolutely offer CC Sabathia a reasonable contract and make an attempt to keep him, but I would be happy to see Sonny Gray and Jaime Garcia go.  Dump them both- they have no business here, really.  Promote Chad Green to a starter and bring up Justus Sheffield and give him a whirl.  Masahiro Tanaka?  Depends.  I would try and keep him but if he is way too expensive, I would dump him along with Caleb Smith, Jonathan Holder, and Chasen Shreve.  See what we can get for them along with Luis Cessa who has already been in trade talks for a potential trade with San Francisco.  Dellin Betances should also be part of the trade talks.  Not in love with what he gave us during the later part of the season.

Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America

Our catchers are staying, although I caution Gary Sanchez with this warning...figure out how to be a better defensive catcher, use your resources to improve and don't be so cocky.  That's all I have to say about that.  Turning my attention to the rest of the infield or the position players, Chase Headley needs to go already.  I would figure out how to keep Todd Frazier and Ronald Torreyes but I would dump Tyler Austin and Garrett Cooper and even Tyler Wade, especially if we pick up Joe Panik.  We should think about trading Starlin Castro as well.  He offered nothing to us in the post season and a lot of days of the DL during the regular season. Greg Bird holds his own at first base. Just stay healthy, Bird!

Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America

The outfield is stacked with a lot of talent at the corners in Brett Gardner and Aaron Judge but center field, well, that's up for grabs.  Like my comment about Castro, I was very disappointed with Aaron Hicks' performance during the post season and his number of long trips to the DL this season.  He needs to prove himself worthy of the starting center field position before I think about trading Clint Frazier.  If I could design my own Christmas gift, I would figure out how to gift wrap Jacoby Ellsbury and ship him right out of the Bronx.  Hey, Brian Cashman has shown us his black magic before when he dumped Tyler Clippard (dare I say his name) and we picked up Frazier and Tommy Kahnle and David Robertson (all of whom I would absolutely keep).  Let's not lose faith that he can pull off some kind of Ellsbury exit.

Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America

Anyway you look at it, we have some moves to make and a championship team to fine tune.  Some guys are with us and fit this vision and others clearly don't.  What are your thoughts on "the LIST"?  Give us a shout out and weigh in on your KEEP 'EM or DUMP 'EM LIST.




--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof 




20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017